This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
O6-alkylguanine has been known to be the major lesion in DNA for the cytotoxicity of alkylating agents and it is repaired by O6-Alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase (O6-AGT). To examine the relation of O6-AGT to the clinical characteristics in malignant melanoma (MM), O6-AGT activity in 13 human MM tissues was measured. The activity in tumor tissues varied widely from 0 to 0.11 pmol/mg protein. The activity in normal skin tissues was lower and less variable than in the tumors. The activity was not related to the tumor size or clinical stage of melanomas, but it was higher in tumors after chemotherapy with alkylating agents than in those without chemotherapy. In metastatic tissues, in primary tumors of the patients with metastases and in tumors of the patients with bad prognosis, the activity was also high. Two of the tumors, having the highest O6-AGT activity, were both transplantable to nude mice. These results suggest two possibilities; melanomas exposed to the alkylating agents may change to have high O6-AGT activity, followed by the resistance to such agents, or O6-AGT in melanomas may be originally diverse. O6-AGT activity in the tumour tissue may represent the effect of alkylating agents and can be used in selecting the methods of therapy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Skin Cancer. Martin Dunitz Ltd, London1989: 178-201 4th Edn.
- Analysis of N-methyl-N-nitrosourea-induced mutations in a shuttle vector plasmid propagated in mouse O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase-deficient cells in comparison with proficient cells.Cancer Res. 1991; 51: 6219-6223
- Mammalian O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase: regulation and importance in response to alkylating carcinogenic and therapeutic agents.Cancer Res. 1990; 50: 6119-6129
- DNA damage produced by alkylating agents and their repair in human tumor cell strains.Med J Osaka Univ. 1987; 39: 195-209
- Relationship of DNA repair phenotype of human fibroblast and tumor strains of killing by N-methyl-N′-nitroso-nitrosoguanidine.Cancer Res. 1984; 44: 961-969
- Relationships among cell survival, O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity, and reactivation of methylated adenovirus 5 and herpes simplex virus type 1 in human melanoma cell lines.Cancer Res. 1989; 49: 4813-4822
- O6-Alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity in human myeloid cells.J Clin Invest. 1986; 76: 2106-2114
- Comparison of O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity based on cellular DNA content in human rat and mouse tissues.Carcinogenesis. 1986; 7: 745-749
- A simplified assay for O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase activity and its application to human neoplastic and nonneoplastic tissues.Carcinogenesis. 1984; 5: 1061-1064
- Interindividual variation in the activity of O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase and uracil-DNA glycosylase in human organs.Carcinogenesis. 1983; 4: 1565-1568
- O6-Alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity in human brain tumors.Cancer Lett. 1990; 55: 153-158
- O6-Methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase in human cells.Mutat Res. 1984; 131: 27-36
- Altered O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity in cell strains originating from mouse skin tumors induced by UV irradiation.Cancer Res. 1991; 51: 2425-2429
- Melanoma of skin.in: TNM Classification of Malignant Tumors. 4th Edn. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heiderberg, New York, London, Paris, Tokyo1987: 89-91
- Expression and cloning of complementary DNA for a human enzyme that repairs O6-methylguanine in DNA.J Mol Biol. 1990; 213: 739-747
- Active site amino acid sequence of the bovine O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase.Nucleic Acids Res. 1990; 18: 17-21
- Isolation and structural characterization of a cDNA clone encoding the human repair protein for O6-alkylguanine.in: 4th edn. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 87. 1990: 686-690
- The histogenesis and biologic behavior of primary human malignant melanomas of the skin.Cancer Res. 1969; 29: 705-726
- New Concepts in Surgical Pathology of the Skin. Wiley, New York1976: 89-90 4th edn.
Accepted: March 9, 1992
Received: December 19, 1991
© 1992 Published by Elsevier Inc.