This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This study was attempted to produce the monoclonal antibodies specific for Treponema pallidum and to investigate their characteristics, thereby contributing to identify the antigenic structure and to apply the diagnosis of syphilis. The seven clones (YS 3, YS 75, YS 307, YS 481, YS 343, YS 1 and YS 406) secreting monoclonal antibodies reactive with T. pallidum were produced. The isotypes of the seven monoclonal antibodies produced were defined. Optical densities of the 7 monoclonal antibodies were ranged from 0.59 to 1.48 as measured by ELISA. Monclonal antibodies from 5 of the 7 clones which could agglutinate sheep RBC sensitized with T. pallidum, showed strong fluorescences. The monoclonal antibody from YS 343 was cross-reactive with non-pathogenic treponemes, but the other 6 monoclonal antibodies reacted with T. pallidum specifically. On immunoblotting, monoclonal antibodies from 5 of the 7 clones reacted with a polypeptide of a molecular weight of 47 kDa, and monoclonal antibodies from YS 343 reacted with a polypeptide of 64 kDa common to both T. pallidum and T. phagedenis. The above results revealed that 7 clones secreting monoclonal antibodies reactive to T. pallidum were produced successfully, and specific antibodies reacting with major antigenic polypeptides of a molecular weight of 47 kDa would be useful in the diagnosis of syphilis in the future.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The biology, pathology and immunology of syphilis.Int Rev Exp Pathol. 1983; 24: 203
- Monoclonal antibodies directed against surface-associated polypeptides of Treponema pallidum define a biologically active antigen.J Microbiol. 1987; 133: 1793
- Identification of Treponema pallidum antigens: Comparison with a nonpathogenic treponeme.J Immunol. 1982; 129: 833
- Humoral immune response in human syphilis to polypeptides of Treponema pallidum.J Immunol. 1982; 129: 1287
- Humoral immune response in experimental syphilis to polypeptides of Treponema pallidum.J Immunol. 1983; 131: 1973
- Molecular characterization of common treponemal antigens.Infect Immun. 1983; 40: 825
- Molecular analysis of immunoglobulins M and G immune response to protein antigens of Treponema pallidum in human syphilitic sera.Infect Immun. 1984; 43: 127
- Purification of TR-b, a Reiter treponeme protein antigen precipitating with antibodies in human syphilitic sera.Infect Immun. 1982; 38: 35
- Kinetics of antibody response to polypeptides of pathogenic and nonpathogenic treponemes in experimental syphilis.Sex Transm Dis. 1986; 13: 251
- Protein antigens of Treponema pallidum reacting with serum Ig M antibodies of syphilis patients.Kor J Dermatol. 1989; 27: 362
- Changes of serum IgG antibody reactivity to protein antigens of Treponema pallidum in syphilis patients after treatment.J Kor Med Sci. 1989; 4: 63
- Continuous cultures of fused cells secreting antibody of predefined specificity.Nature. 1975; 256: 495
- Purification of Treponema pallidum, Nichols strain, by percoll density gradient centrifugation.Sex Transm Dis. 1984; 11: 275
- Antibodies to major histocompatibility antigens produced by hybrid cell lines.Nature. 1977; 266: 550
- Cloning of hybridoma cells by limiting dilution in fluid phase 374.in: RH Kennet TJ Mckearn KB Bechtol Monoclonal Antibodies, Hybridoma: A New Dimension in Biological Analysis. Plenum Press, New York1980
- Detection of immunoglobulin M antibodies to Treponema pallidum in sera from syphilis patients by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.Yonsei J Med Sci. 1987; 20: 379
- Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4.Nature. 1970; 227: 680
- Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications.in: 4th edn. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 76. 1979: 4350
- Murine monoclonal antibodies specific for virulent Treponema pallidum (Nichols).Infect Immun. 1982; 36: 1076
- Characterization of monoclonal antibodies to Treponema pallidum.J Immunol. 1985; 134: 585
- The outer membrane of Treponema pallidum: Biological significance and biological properties.J Gen Microbiol. 1985; 131: 2249
- Monoclonal antibody analysis of specific antigenic similarities among pathogenic Treponema pallidum species.Infect Immun. 1984; 45: 660
- Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent.J Biol Chem. 1951; 193: 265
Accepted: December 27, 1991
Received: December 13, 1990
© 1992 Published by Elsevier Inc.