This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Human hair follicles, especially small vellus hair follicles, showed characteristic structures as follows: (I) small vellus hair follicles were surrounded with skirt-like epithelial structures or perifollicular connective tissue capsule; (II) perifollicular clear space was present between the outer root sheath and skirt-like structure, or the outer root sheath and perifollicular connective tissue capsule; (III) perifollicular clear space was filled with a loose, alcian blue positive mucinous substance and elongated fibroblasts and mast cells; (IV) perifollicular nerve endings were attached to the follicular wall in a palisading arrangement within the clear space under the skirt; (V) perifollicular nerve end organs and connective tissue capsule were positively immunostained for CD34 and protein gene product 9.5 (PGP9.5). These specialized structures of human small vellus hair follicles seem to correspond to the blood sinus of the sinus hair follicles, where similar structural elements were found.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Die Hout.in: 3rd Edn. Handbuch der Mikroskopi sehen Anatomie des Menschen. Springer, Heidelberg1957: 1-275
- The tactile hair of the white rat.J Comp Neurol. 1913; 23: 1-35
- Sensory innervation of the hairy skin (light- and electronmicroscopic study).J Invest Dermatol. 1993; 101: 75S-81S
- Das Mantelhaar.Arch Dermatol Syph. 1897; 51: 1-10
- Normal structure of skin.in: Pinkus H. Mehregan AH A Guide to Dermatopathology. 3rd Edn. Appleton-Century-Crofts, New York1981: 29
- The pathogenesis of milia and benign tumors of the skin.J Invest Dermatol. 1956; 26: 1-10
- Innervation of human hair follicles.in: Kobori T Montagna W Biology and Disease of the Hair. University of Tokyo Press, Tokyo1975: 73-85
- Innervation and vasculature of hair follicle.in: Orfanos CE Happle R Hair and Hair Diseases. Springer-Verlag, Berlin1990: 117-147
- Epithelial skirt and bulge of human facial vellus hair follicles and associated Merkel cell-nerve complex.Arch Dermatol Res. 1993; 285: 269-277
- Two- and three- dimensional observations of human terminal and vellus hair follicles.J Dermatol Sci. 1994; 7: S13-S19
- An immunohistochemical study of glial fibrillary acidic (GFA) protein and S-100 protein in the colon affected by Hirschsprung's disease.Acta Neuropathol. 1988; 76: 159-165
- Combined immunostaining of neurofilaments, neuron-specific enolase, GFAP and S- 100. A possible means for assessing the morphological and functional status of the enteric nervous system.Histochemistry. 1985; 82: 93-97
- Cutaneous innervation in man visualized with protein gene product 9.5 (PGP9.5) antibodies.Histochemistry. 1989; 82: 93-97
- Surface marker for hematopoietic and endothelial cell lineages in quail that is defined by a monoclonal antibody.in: 3rd ed. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 80. 1983: 2976-2980
- Distribution and epitope analysis of the cell membrane glycoprotein (HPCA-1) associated with human hematopoietic progenitor cells.Leukemia. 1987; 1: 417-426
- Localization of hematopoietic progenitor cells in tissue with the anti-My- 10 monoclonal antibody.Am J Pathol. 1985; 119: 1-4
- The human progenitor cell antigen (CD34) is localized on endothelial cells, dermal dendritic cells, and perifollicular cells in formalin-fixed normal skin, and on proliferating endothelial cells and stromal spindle-shaped cells in Kaposi's sarcoma.Arch Dermatol. 1991; 127: 523-529
- QBEND/10 (anti-CD34 antibody) in external root sheath cells and follicular tumors.J Cutan Pathol. 1994; 21: 224-228
- expression of the human hematopoietic progenitor cell antigen CD34 in vascular and spindle cell tumors.J Cutan Pathol. 1993; 20: 15-21
- Specific nerve endings in vellus hair, guard hair, and sinus hair.in: Orfanos CE Happle R Hair and Hair Diseases. Springer-Verlag, Berlin1990: 149-164
Accepted: December 12, 1994
Received in revised form: November 18, 1994
Received: September 14, 1994
© 1995 Published by Elsevier Inc.