This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Atopic dermatitis (AD) is characterized by alterations in cellular and humoral immunity. The objective of this study is to determine whether soluble E-selectin (sE-selectin) plays a role in AD. We examined the serum sE-selectin levels in patients with atopic dermatitis (n = 23), patients with urticaria (n = 9), and normal healthy individuals (n = 15). The severity of the disease in the AD patients was graded using an established clinical scoring system. We found that sE-selectin levels were significantly higher in atopic dermatitis than in urticaria (P < 0. 001) or normal controls (P < 0. 001). In addition, there was a significant correlation between serum sE-selectin and the clinical score (R = 0.73, P < 0. 0001). Clinical improvement was associated with a decrease in both the clinical score (P < 0.01) and serum sE-selectin (P < 0.01). E-selectin was recognized on the vascular endothelial cells of the erythematous lesions of AD patients. These results indicate that sE-selectin may play a role in AD.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Atopic dermatitis.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1984; 73: 211
- Role of immediate hypersensitivity in the pathogenesis of atopic dermatitis.Allergy. 1989; 44: 52-58
- Decreased interferon gamma and increased interleukin-4 production in atopic dermatitis promotes IgE synthesis.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1992; 90: 323-331
- Enhanced IL-4 production and IL-4 receptor expression in atopic dermatitis and their modulation by interferon-gamma.J Invest Dermatol. 1992; 99: 403-408
- Eosinophils in atopic dermatitis.Allergy. 1989; 44: 20-26
- Eosinophil involvement in atopic dermatitis as reflected by elevated serum levels of eosinophil cationic protein.J Dermatol. 1992; 19: 208-213
- The role of eosinophils in the pathogenesis of atopic dermatitis — eosinophil granule proteins as markers of disease activity.Allergy. 1993; 48: 1-5
- Cytokines and endothelial cell biology.Physiol Rev. 1990; 70: 427-443
- Studies on the adhesive interaction between purified human eosinophils and cultured vascular endothelial cells.J Immunol. 1988; 140: 1500-1505
- Overlapping patterns of activation of human endothelial cells by interleukin 1, tumor necrosis factor, and immune interferon.J Immunol. 1986; 137: 1893-1896
- Two distinct monokines, interleukin 1 and tumor necrosis factor, each independently induce biosynthesis and transient expression of the same antigen on the surface of cultured human vascular endothelial cells.J Immunol. 1986; 136: 1680-1687
- Dignostic features of atopic dermatitis.Acta Derm Venereol. 1980; 92 (Suppl):: 44-47
- Scoring atopic dermatitis: the simpler the better?.Acta Derm Venereol (Stockh). 1989; 69: 41-45
- A form of circulating I CAM-I in human serum.J Immunol. 1991; 147: 3788-3793
- Expression of an endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecule (ELAM-1) in atopic dermatitis (AD) and elicited late phase allergic skin reaction (LPR) (abstr).Clin Res. 1990; 38: 448A
- Human dermal mast cells contain and release tumor necrosis factor alpha, which induces endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecule 1.in: 3rd ed. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 88. 1991: 4220-4224
- Effect of in vivo interleukin-1 on adhesion molecule expression in normal human skin.J Invest Dermatol. 1992; 98: 384-387
- Soluble E-selectin is found in supernatants of activated endothelial cells and is elevated in the serum of patients with septic shock.J Immunol. 1993; 150: 644-654
- Endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecule 1: an inducible receptor for neutrophils related to complement regulatory proteins and lectins.Science. 1989; 243: 1160-1165
- Endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecule-1 and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 mediate the adhesion of eosinophils to endothelial cells in vitro and are expressed by endothelium in allergic cutaneous inflammation in vivo.J Immunol. 1991; 146: 521-528
- Soluble E-selectin in arthritis.Clin Immunol Immunopathol. 1993; 69: 29-35
- Serum ELAM-1 is increased in vasculitis, scleroderma, and systemic lupus erythematosus.J Rheumatol. 1993; 20: 809-814
- Correlation of eosinophils, eosinophil cationic protein and soluble interleukin-2 receptor with the clinical activity of atopic dermatitis.Dermatology. 1992; 185: 88-92
- Soluble interleukin 2 receptor in atopic eczema.Br Med J. 1989; 298: 1426-1428
- Elevation of interleukin 2 receptor in sera of patients with atopic dermatitis and psoriasis.Br J Dermatol. 1988; 119: 707-710
Accepted: January 23, 1995
Received in revised form: December 28, 1994
Received: September 16, 1994
© 1995 Published by Elsevier Inc.