Oral mucositis is a common complication of radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Ionizing radiation causes loss of stem cells having renewal capacity in the basal layer of the mucosa, which is the beginning of radiation mucositis [
]. Embryonic or mesenchymal stem cells have been reported to resist oxidative stress from noxious stimuli such as radiation [
- Sonis S.T.
The pathobiology of mucositis.
Nat Rev Cancer. 2004; 4: 277-284
- Saretzki G.
- Armstrong L.
- Leake A.
- Lako M.
- von Zglinicki T.
Stress defense in murine embryonic stem cells is superior to that of various differentiated murine cells.
Stem Cells. 2004; 22: 962-971
3]. However, the radiation resistance of oral mucosal stem cells is still unknown. In this study, we attempted to separate stem cell-rich subpopulation from human oral mucosa by differential adhesion to collagen type IV, the method being used to isolate epidermal stem cells [
- Chen M.F.
- Lin C.T.
- Chen W.C.
- Yang C.T.
- Chen C.C.
- Liao S.K.
- et al.
The sensitivity of human mesenchymal stem cells to ionizing radiation.
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006; 66: 244-253
]. Radiation sensitivity of the stem cell-rich and stem cell-poor subpopulations was compared.
- Kim D.S.
- Cho H.J.
- Choi H.R.
- Kwon S.B.
- Park K.C.
Isolation of human epidermal stem cells by adherence and the reconstruction of skin equivalents.
Cell Mol Life Sci. 2004; 61: 2774-2781
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The pathobiology of mucositis.Nat Rev Cancer. 2004; 4: 277-284
- Stress defense in murine embryonic stem cells is superior to that of various differentiated murine cells.Stem Cells. 2004; 22: 962-971
- The sensitivity of human mesenchymal stem cells to ionizing radiation.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006; 66: 244-253
- Isolation of human epidermal stem cells by adherence and the reconstruction of skin equivalents.Cell Mol Life Sci. 2004; 61: 2774-2781
- Separation of human epidermal stem cells from transit amplifying cells on the basis of differences in integrin function and expression.Cell. 1993; 73: 713-724
- Beta-catenin signalling modulates proliferative potential of human epidermal keratinocytes independently of intercellular adhesion.Development. 1999; 126: 2285-2298
- p63 identifies keratinocyte stem cells.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2001; 98: 3156-3161
- Binding of Ku and c-Abl at the kinase homology region of DNA-dependent protein kinase catalytic subunit.J Biol Chem. 1997; 272: 24763-24766
- WNT/beta-catenin mediates radiation resistance of mouse mammary progenitor cells.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2007; 104: 618-623
Published online: July 12, 2010
Received: July 18, 2007
© 2007 Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.