T helper 17 (Th17) plays a pivotal role in the pathogenesis of autoimmune diseases, such as autoimmune encephalitis and inflammatory bowel diseases, in which Th1 previously were thought essential [
- Mangan P.R.
- Harrington L.E.
- O’Quinn D.B.
- Helms W.S.
- Bullard D.C.
- Elson C.O.
- et al.
Transforming growth factor-beta induces development of the T(H)17 lineage.
Nature. 2006; 441: 231-245
- Bettelli E.
- Carrier Y.
- Gao W.
- Korn T.
- Strom T.B.
- Oukka M.
- et al.
Reciprocal developmental pathways for the generation of pathogenic effector TH17 and regulatory T cells.
Nature. 2006; 441: 235-238
3]. Also, previous reports have suggested that interleukin (IL)-17 is a crucial factor in the homing of granulocytes and tissue injury in bronchial asthma [
- Steinman L.
A brief history of T(H)17, the first major revision in the T(H)1/T(H)2 hypothesis of T cell-mediated tissue damage.
Nat Med. 2007; 13: 139-144
- Kolls J.K.
- Lindén A.
Interleukin-17 family members and inflammation.
Immunity. 2004; 21: 467-476
5], which is believed to be a Th2 type disease. However, it has never been investigated whether Th17 is involved in autoimmune bullous diseases. We have here, for the first time, evaluated the status of lesional Th17 and T regulatory (Treg) cells immunohistochemically in pemphigus vulgaris and pemphigus foliaceus.
- Kawaguchi M.
- Adachi M.
- Oda N.
- Kokubu F.
- Huang S.K.
IL-17 cytokine family.
J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004; 114: 1265-1273
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Transforming growth factor-beta induces development of the T(H)17 lineage.Nature. 2006; 441: 231-245
- Reciprocal developmental pathways for the generation of pathogenic effector TH17 and regulatory T cells.Nature. 2006; 441: 235-238
- A brief history of T(H)17, the first major revision in the T(H)1/T(H)2 hypothesis of T cell-mediated tissue damage.Nat Med. 2007; 13: 139-144
- Interleukin-17 family members and inflammation.Immunity. 2004; 21: 467-476
- IL-17 cytokine family.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004; 114: 1265-1273
- Analysis of FOXP3 protein expression in human CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells at the single-cell level.Eur J Immunol. 2005; 35: 1681-1691
- Polarized in vivo expression of IL-11 and IL-17 between acute and chronic skin lesions.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003; 111: 875-881
- CD4+CD25 high regulatory T cells are markedly decreased in blood of patients with pemphigus vulgaris.Dermatology. 2007; 214: 210-220
- Production of epidermal acantholysis in normal human skin in vitro by the IgG fraction from pemphigus serum.J Invest Dermatol. 1976; 67: 254-260
- IL-22 mediates mucosal host defense against Gram-negative bacterial pneumonia.Nat Med. 2008; 14: 275-281
Published online: July 12, 2010
Received: March 19, 2008
© 2008 Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.