Progranulin (PGRN) is a secreted growth factor implicated in a wide variety of biological processes including tumorigenesis, tissue maintenance, sexual differentiation of the brain, and embryo development [
- He Z.
- Bateman A.
Progranulin (granulin–epithelin precursor, PC-cell-derived growth factor, acrogranin) mediates tissue repair and tumorigenesis.
J Mol Med. 2003; 81: 600-612
2]. It has been recently shown that mutations in PGRN cause a subtype of familial frontotemporal lobar degeneration [
- Kayasuga Y.
- Chiba S.
- Suzuki M.
- Kikusui T.
- Matsuwaki T.
- Yamanouchi K.
- et al.
Alteration of behavioural phenotype in mice by targeted disruption of the progranulin gene.
Behav Brain Res. 2007; 185: 110-118
- Baker M.
- Mackenzie I.R.
- Pickering-Brown S.M.
- Gass J.
- Rademakers R.
- Lindholm C.
- et al.
Mutations in progranulin cause tau-negative frontotemporal dementia linked to chromosome 17.
Nature. 2006; 442: 916-919
4]. However, investigation of PGRN functions at the whole organism level is largely limited.
- Cruts M.
- Gijselinck I.
- van der Zee J.
- Engelborghs S.
- Wils H.
- Pirici D.
- et al.
Null mutations in progranulin cause ubiquitin-positive frontotemporal dementia linked to chromosome 17q21.
Nature. 2006; 442: 920-924
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Progranulin (granulin–epithelin precursor, PC-cell-derived growth factor, acrogranin) mediates tissue repair and tumorigenesis.J Mol Med. 2003; 81: 600-612
- Alteration of behavioural phenotype in mice by targeted disruption of the progranulin gene.Behav Brain Res. 2007; 185: 110-118
- Mutations in progranulin cause tau-negative frontotemporal dementia linked to chromosome 17.Nature. 2006; 442: 916-919
- Null mutations in progranulin cause ubiquitin-positive frontotemporal dementia linked to chromosome 17q21.Nature. 2006; 442: 920-924
- Tissue-specific knockout of the mouse Pig-a gene reveals important roles for GPI-anchored proteins in skin development..Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1997; 94: 7400-7405
- Cellular localization of gene expression for progranulin.J Histochem Cytochem. 2000; 48: 999-1009
- Patterns of proliferation and apoptosis during murine hair follicle morphogenesis.J Invest Dermatol. 2001; 116: 947-955
- Keratinocyte survival, differentiation, and death: many roads lead to mitogen-activated protein kinase.J Invest Dermatol Symp Proc. 2002; 7: 36-40
- Keratinocyte apoptosis in epidermal development and disease.J Invest Dermatol. 2006; 126: 243-257
- An investigation of apoptosis in androgenetic alopecia.Am J Dermatopathol. 2002; 24: 204-208
Published online: July 12, 2010
Received: May 13, 2008
© 2008 Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.