The stratum corneum chymotryptic enzyme (SCCE) and the stratum corneum tryptic enzyme (SCTE) are serine proteases of the kallikrein family that are encoded by the KLK7 and KLK5 genes, respectively. They might play a role in desquamation by cleaving corneodesmosomal proteins. Their activities are regulated by lympho-ephithelial Kazal-type related inhibitor (LEKTI), which is encoded by the SPINK5 gene.
To elucidate the role of these molecules in ultraviolet B (UVB)-induced desquamation of the stratum corneum, we examined the effect of UVB irradiation on the expression of these enzymes in human epidermal keratinocytes.
The effects of UVB on SCCE (KLK7), SCTE (KLK5) and LEKTI (SPINK5) expression in keratinocytes were estimated using HaCaT cells, normal human epidermal keratinocytes and a reconstructed human epidermis model.
UVB irradiation significantly reduced the expression of SPINK5 and increased the expression of KLK5 and KLK7, as assessed by real-time PCR, and reduced the expression of LEKTI and increased the expression of SCTE and SCCE by Western blotting and/or immunofluorescence analysis. Protease activity, as assessed by in situ zymography, was enhanced in the epidermis following exposure to UVB irradiation compared with sham-irradiated epidermis.
These results suggest that reduced expression of LEKTI and increased expression of SCCE and SCTE in human epidermal keratinocytes after UVB irradiation may contribute to desquamation of the stratum corneum.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid reduce UVB- and TNF-α-induced IL-8 secretion in keratinocytes and UVB-induced IL-8 in fibroblasts.J Invest Dermatol. 2005; 124: 248-255
- Decreased levels of covalently bound ceramide are associated with ultraviolet B-induced perturbation of the skin barrier.J Invest Dermatol. 2004; 123: 1102-1109
- Corneocyte changes after acute UV irradiation and chronic solar exposure.Photodermatol. 1988; 5: 110-115
- New perspectives on epidermal barrier dysfunction in atopic dermatitis: gene-environment interactions.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006; 118: 3-21
- Desmosomes: intercellular adhesive junctions specialized for attachment of intermediate filaments.Int Rev Cytol. 1999; 185: 237-302
- Identification of late differentiation antigens of human cornified epithelia, expressed in re-organized desmosomes and bound to cross-linked envelope.J Invest Dermatol. 1991; 97: 1061-1072
- Role of endogenous cathepsin D-like and chymotrypsin-like proteolysis in human epidermal desquamation.Br J Dermatol. 1999; 141: 453-459
- Stratum corneum thiol protease (SCTP): a novel cysteine protease of late epidermal differentiation.Arch Dermatol Res. 1999; 291: 260-268
- Analysis of proteins with caseinolytic activity in a human stratum corneum extract revealed a yet unidentified cysteine protease and identified the so-called “stratum corneum thiol protease” as cathepsin 12.J Invest Dermatol. 2003; 120: 592-600
- Cloning, expression, and characterization of stratum corneum chymotryptic enzyme. A skin-specific human serine proteinase.J Biol Chem. 1994; 269: 19420-19426
- The role of proteases in stratum corneum: involvement in stratum corneum desquamation.Arch Dermatol Res. 1994; 286: 249-253
- Purification, molecular cloning, and expression of a human corneum trypsin-like serine protease with possible function in desquamation.J Biol Chem. 2002; 277: 24562-24570
- The new human kallikrein gene family: implication in carcinogenesis.Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 11: 54-60
- Evidence that stratum corneum chymotryptic enzyme is transported to the stratum corneum extracellular space via lamellar bodies.J Invest Dermatol. 1995; 104: 819-823
- Stratum corneum tryptic enzyme in normal epidermis. A missing link in the desquamation process?.J Invest Dermatol. 2000; 114: 56-63
- Degradation of corneodesmosome proteins by two serine proteases of the kallikrein family, SCTE/KLK5/hK5 and SCCE/KLK7/hK7.J Invest Dermatol. 2004; 122: 1235-1244
- Purification and preliminary characterization of stratum corneum chymotryptic enzyme: a proteinase that may be involved in desquamation.J Invest Dermatol. 1993; 101: 200-204
- A chymotrypsin-like proteinase that may be involved in desquamation in plantar stratum corneum.Arch Dermatol. 1991; 283: 108-112
- The expression of stratum corneum chymotryptic enzyme in human anagen hair follicles: further evidence for its involvement in desquamation-like process.Br J Dermatol. 1991; 283: 108-112
- LEKTI, a novel 15-domain type of human serine proteinase inhibitor.J Biol Chem. 1999; 274: 21499-21502
- Normal keratinization in a spontaneously immortalized aneuploid human keratinocyte cell line.J Cell Biol. 1988; 106: 761-771
- Increased serine protease activity and cathelicidin promotes skin inflammation in rosacea.Nat Med. 2007; 13: 975-980
- Cosmetics and skin care in dermatology.in: Wolff K. Goldsmith L.A. Katz S.I. Gilchrest B.A. Paller A.S. Leffell D.J. Fitzpatrik's dermatology in general medicine. 7th ed. The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc., New York2008: 2357-2359
- LEKTI is localized in lamellar granules, separated from KLK5 and KLK7, and is secreted in the extracellular spaces of the superficial stratum granulosum.J Invest Dermatol. 2005; 124: 360-366
- Elevated stratum corneum hydrolytic activity in Netherton syndrome suggests an inhibitory regulation of desquamation by SPINK5-derived peptides.J Invest Dermatol. 2002; 118: 436-443
- Spink5-deficient mice mimic Netherton syndrome through degradation of desmoglein 1 by epidermal protease hyperactivity.Nat Genet. 2005; 37: 56-65
- Corneodesmosomal cadherins are preferential targets of stratum corneum trypsin- and chymotrypsin-like hyperactivity in Netherton syndrome.J Invest Dermatol. 2006; 126: 1622-1632
- Epidermal hyperproliferation and decreased skin barrier function in mice overexpressing stratum corneum chymotryptic enzyme.Acta Derm Venereol. 2004; 84: 18-22
- Stratum corneum chymotryptic enzyme in psoriasis.Arch Dermatol Res. 1999; 291: 195-200
- Proteinase-activated receptor-2 stimulates prostaglandin production in keratinocytes: analysis of prostaglandin receptors on human melanocytes and effects of PGE2 and PGF2alpha on melanocyte dendricity.J Invest Dermatol. 2004; 22: 1214-1224
- Activation of proteinase-activated receptor-2 by human kallikrein-related peptidases.J Invest Dermatol. 2008; 128: 18-25
- hK5 and hK7, two serine proteinases abundant in human skin, are inhibited by LEKTI domain 6.Br J Dermatol. 2005; 153: 1200-1203
- Ultraviolet B-induced alterations of the skin barrier and epidermal calcium gradient.Exp Dermatol. 2007; 16: 985-992
- Identification of calcium-inducible genes in primary keratinocytes using suppression subtractive hybridization.Exp Dermatol. 2004; 13: 163-169
- UV-induced DNA damage is an intermediate step in UV-induced expression of human immunodeficiency virus type 1, collagenase, c-fos, and metallothionein.Mol Cell Biol. 1989; 9: 5169-5181
Published online: July 12, 2010
Accepted: November 13, 2008
Received in revised form: November 5, 2008
Received: July 9, 2008
© 2008 Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.