Although the pathogenesis of alopecia areata (AA) has been associated with lipid peroxidation, the role of antioxidants has not been fully explored [
- Naziroglu M.
- Kokcam I.
Antioxidants and lipid peroxidation status in the blood of patients with alopecia.
Cell Biochem Funct. 2000; 18: 169-173
2]. Heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) is the rate-limiting enzyme in the catabolism of heme; it breaks down the porphyrin ring to yield equal molar amounts of free iron, carbon monoxide and biliverdin, which is subsequently reduced to bilirubin. Among three different isoforms of HO, the inducible isoform of HO-1, also known as the major 32 kDa heat shock protein HSP-32, is induced by a wide variety of stressful stimuli, including ultraviolet irradiation, hydrogen peroxide, lipopolysaccharides, and organic chemicals [
- Koca R.
- Armutcu F.
- Altinyazar H.C.
- Gurel A.
Evaluation of lipid peroxidation, oxidant/antioxidant status and serum nitric oxide levels in alopecia areata.
Med Sci Monit. 2005; 11: CR296-CR299
- Elbirt K.K.
- Bonkovsky H.L.
Heme oxygenase: recent advances in understanding its regulation and role.
Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1999; 61: 748-755
4]. HO-1 also inhibits T cell-dependent skin inflammation and differentiation as well as the function of antigen-presenting cells [
- Applegate L.A.
- Luscher P.
- Tyrrell R.M.
Induction of heme oxygeanse: a general response to oxidative stress in cultured mammalian cells.
Cancer Res. 1991; 51: 974-978
]. The upregulation of HO-1 expression in inflamed skin such as psoriasis and cutaneous wounds has suggested that HO-1 might play an important cytoprotective role under conditions of cellular stress such as ischemia, hypoxia, inflammation, and oxidative stress [
- Listopad J.
- Asadullah K.
- Sievers C.
- Ritter T.
- Meisel C.
- Sabat R.
- et al.
Heme oxygenase-1 inhibits T cell-dependent skin inflammation and differentiation and function of antigen-presenting cells.
Exp Dermatol. 2007; 16: 661-670
- Hanselmann C.
- Mauch C.
- Werner S.
Haem oxygenase-1: a novel player in cutaneous wound repair and psoriasis?.
Biochem J. 2001; 353: 459-466
7]. However, the role of HO-1 in AA has not been studied. To elucidate the pathogenetic role of HO-1 in AA, we compared the HO-1 expression between AA patches and normal skin.
- Wojas-Pelc A.
- Marcinkiewicz J.
What is a role of haeme oxygenase-1 in psoriasis? Current concepts of pathogenesis.
Int J Exp Path. 2007; 88: 95-102
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Antioxidants and lipid peroxidation status in the blood of patients with alopecia.Cell Biochem Funct. 2000; 18: 169-173
- Evaluation of lipid peroxidation, oxidant/antioxidant status and serum nitric oxide levels in alopecia areata.Med Sci Monit. 2005; 11: CR296-CR299
- Heme oxygenase: recent advances in understanding its regulation and role.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1999; 61: 748-755
- Induction of heme oxygeanse: a general response to oxidative stress in cultured mammalian cells.Cancer Res. 1991; 51: 974-978
- Heme oxygenase-1 inhibits T cell-dependent skin inflammation and differentiation and function of antigen-presenting cells.Exp Dermatol. 2007; 16: 661-670
- Haem oxygenase-1: a novel player in cutaneous wound repair and psoriasis?.Biochem J. 2001; 353: 459-466
- What is a role of haeme oxygenase-1 in psoriasis? Current concepts of pathogenesis.Int J Exp Path. 2007; 88: 95-102
- Triphlorethol-A induces heme oxygenase-1 via activation of ERK and NF-E2 related factor 2 transcription factor.FEBS Lett. 2007; 581: 2000-2008
- Antioxidant activity, lipid peroxidation and skin diseases. What's new.J Eur Dermatol Venereol. 2003; 17: 663-669
- Antioxidant enzymes and lipid peroxidation in the scalp of patients with alopecia areata.J Dermatol Sci. 2002; 29: 85-90
Published online: July 12, 2010
Received: August 5, 2008
© 2009 Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.