Epithelial sheets made of cultured oral mucosal epithelial cells have been used to treat various epithelial defects [
]. These epithelial sheets are derived from oral epithelial stem cells exhibiting high proliferation potential. In the skin, research into the keratinocyte stem cell niche has advanced remarkably. However, the oral mucosal stem cell niche is less well understood. Thus, we investigated the density of label-retaining cells (LRC) in different areas of oral mucosa to elucidate the localization of oral mucosal stem cells.
- Moharamzadeh K.
- Brook I.M.
- Van Noort R.
- Scutt A.M.
- Thornhill M.H.
Tissue-engineered oral mucosa: a review of the scientific literature.
J Dent Res. 2007; 86: 115-124
Abbreviations:BrdU (5-bromo-2′-deoxyuridine), LRC (label-retaining cells), PBS (phosphate-buffered saline)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tissue-engineered oral mucosa: a review of the scientific literature.J Dent Res. 2007; 86: 115-124
- p63 in prostate biology and pathology.J Cell Biochem. 2008; 103: 1354-1368
- Identification and behavior of label-retaining cells in oral mucosa and skin.J Dent Res. 1981; 60: 1611-1620
- Selection and extended growth of murine epidermal stem cells in culture.Exp Cell Res. 1998; 244: 184-195
- Bone marrow-derived cells are not the origin of the cancer stem cells in ultraviolet-induced skin cancer.Am J Pathol. 2009; 174: 595-601
- Turnover of naive- and memory-phenotype T cells.J Exp Med. 1994; 179: 127-135
- Mapping dynamic epithelial cell proliferative activity within the oral cavity of man: a new insight into carcinogenesis?.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1999; 37: 377-383
- Identification and localization of label-retaining cells in hamster epithelia.J Invest Dermatol. 1984; 82: 618-622
- The gingival tissues: the architecture of periodontal protection.Periodontology 2000. 1997; 13: 91-120
- Clinical application of tissue-engineered transplants. Part I. Mucosa.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2006; 17: 625-632
Published online: July 12, 2010
Received: November 13, 2008
© 2009 Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.