Atopic dermatitis (AD) is a chronic inflammatory skin disease with a complex genetic background. It belongs to the group of atopic disorders that are characterized by a T helper (Th) type 2-dominated immune response. Recent evidence suggested that atopic diseases and autoimmune disorders (which are mainly Th1-driven) may not be mutually exclusive, but rather share certain risk factors that increase the development of either Th1- or Th2-immune responses to non-pathogenic antigens [
- Simpson C.R.
- Anderson W.J.
- Helms P.J.
- Taylor M.W.
- Watson L.
- Prescott G.J.
- Godden D.J.
- Barker R.N.
Coincidence of immune-mediated diseases driven by Th1 and Th2 subsets suggests a common aetiology. A population-based study using computerized general practice data.
Clin Exp Allergy. 2002; 32: 37-42
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Coincidence of immune-mediated diseases driven by Th1 and Th2 subsets suggests a common aetiology. A population-based study using computerized general practice data.Clin Exp Allergy. 2002; 32: 37-42
- The immunogenetics of multiple sclerosis.Immunogenetics. 2008; 60: 275-286
- Thymic stromal lymphopoietin: master switch for allergic inflammation.J Exp Med. 2006; 203: 269-273
- Elevated levels of interleukin 2 receptor in sera of patients with atopic dermatitis and psoriasis.Br J Dermatol. 1988; 119: 707-710
- The genetics of atopic dermatitis: recent findings and future options.J Mol Med. 2005; 83: 682-692
- Variation in the IL7RA and IL2RA genes in German multiple sclerosis patients.J Autoimmun. 2009; 32: 110-115
- Fine mapping and positional candidate studies on chromosome 5p13 identify multiple asthma susceptibility loci.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006; 118: 396-402
- Association between genetic polymorphisms in the human interleukin-7 receptor alpha-chain and inhalation allergy.Int J Immunogenet. 2007; 34: 149-151
- Sex specifically associated promoter polymorphism in multiple sclerosis affects interleukin 4 expression levels.Genes Immun. 2007; 8: 703-706
- Promoter polymorphism of IL-10 and severity of multiple sclerosis.Acta Neurol Scand. 2003; 108: 396-400
- IL2RA genetic heterogeneity in multiple sclerosis and type 1 diabetes susceptibility and soluble interleukin-2 receptor production.PLoS Genet. 2009; 5: e1000322
Published online: July 12, 2010
Received: February 3, 2009
© 2009 Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.