- •Indoor air pollution is a major public health challenge in China.
- •Cooking with solid fuels is one main source of indoor air pollution in China.
- •Cooking with solid fuels accelerates wrinkle rates in Chinese women.
- •Corroborates known association between outdoor air pollution and skin aging.
- •Indoor air pollution might be a further risk factor for skin aging.
Abbreviations:AhR (arylhydrocarbon receptor), AM (arithmetic mean), AMR (arithmetic mean ratio), BMI (Body mass index), CI (confidence interval), GM (geometric mean), GMR (geometric mean ratio), MMP (matrixmetalloproteinase), OR (odds ratio), PAH (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon), PM (particulate matter), SCINEXA™ (Score for intrinsic and extrinsic skin aging), TGF-ß (transforming growth factor ß)
- Indoor air pollution in developing countries: a major environmental and public health challenge.Bull World Health Organ. 2000; 78: 1078-1092
- Geographical, spatial, and temporal distributions of multiple indoor air pollutants in four Chinese provinces.Environ Sci Technol. 2005; 39: 9431-9439
- Emissions of air pollutants from household stoves: honeycomb coal versus coal cake.Environ Sci Technol. 2004; 38: 4612-4618
- Household air pollution from coal and biomass fuels in China: measurements, health impacts, and interventions.Environ Health Perspect. 2007; 115: 848-855
- Clinical and histological features of intrinsic versus extrinsic skin aging.in: Gilchrest B.A. Krutmann J. Skin aging. Springer Verlag, Berlin2006: 9-22
- Smoker's wrinkles. A study in the epidemiology of crow's feet.Ann Intern Med. 1971; 75: 873-880
Gilchrest BA. Photoaging J Invest Dermatol 2013133(E1):E2-6.
- Airborne particle exposure and extrinsic skin aging.J Invest Dermatol. 2010; 130: 2719-2726
- Rationales, design and recruitment of the Taizhou Longitudinal Study.BMC Public Health. 2009; 9: 223
- Indoor air pollution from coal combustion and the risk of neural tube defects in a rural population in Shanxi Province.China Am J Epidemiol. 2011; 174: 451-458
- The SCINEXA: a novel, validated score to simultaneously assess and differentiate between intrinsic and extrinsic skin ageing.J Dermatol Sci. 2009; 53: 207-211
- Ethnic differences in skin aging.in: Gilchrest B.A. Krutmann J. Skin Aging. Springer Verlag, Berlin2006: 23-32
- The aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AHR), a novel regulator of human melanogenesis.Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2010 Dec; 23: 828-833
- Molecular basis of tobacco smoke-induced premature skin aging.J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc. 2009; 14: 53-55
- Role of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor in tobacco smoke extract-induced matrix metalloproteinase-1 expression.Exp Dermatol. 2013; 22: 349-353
- Alterations of extracellular matrix induced by tobacco smoke extract.Arch Dermatol Res. 2000; 292: 188-194
- Tobacco smoke extract induces age-related changes due to modulation of TGF-beta.Exp Dermatol. 2003; 12: 51-56
- From epidemiological and mechanistic studies to clinical implications.J Dermatol Sci. 2014 Dec; 76: 163-168
- Skin ageing: a comparison between Chinese and European populations. A pilot study.J Dermatol Sci. 2005; 40: 187-193