Heat shock proteins (Hsps) are chaperone proteins, which are upregulated after various stresses. Hsp90 inhibitors have been investigated as adjuvant therapies for the treatment of melanoma. Thermal ablation could be a treatment option for surgically unresectable melanoma or congenital nevomelanocytic nevi, however, there is a limitation such as the possibility of recurrence.
We evaluated apoptosis in a melanoma cell line treated with the Hsp90 inhibitor 17-Dimethylaminoethylamino-17-demethoxygeldanamycin (17-DMAG), in hyperthermic conditions.
SK-MEL-2 cells were stimulated at 43 °C for 1 h and treated with 0, 0.1 and 1 μM 17-DMAG. We evaluated the cell viability using MTT and apoptosis with HSP 90 inhibitor. We studied the protein expression of AKT, phospho-AKT, ERK, phospho-ERK, MAPK, and phospho-MAPK, caspase 3,7,9, and anti-poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase.
17-DMAG significantly inhibited the proliferation of the SK-MEL-2 cells at 37 °C (0.1 μM: 44.47% and 1 μM: 61.23%) and 43 °C (0.1 μM: 49.21% and 1 μM: 63.60%), suggesting synergism between thermal stimulation and 17-DMAG. 17-DMAG treatment increased the frequency of apoptotic cell populations to 2.17% (0.1 μM) and 3.05% (1 μM) in 37 °C controls, and 4.40% (0.1 μM) and 4.97% (1 μM) in the group stimulated at 43 °C. AKT phosphorylation were activated by thermal stimulation and inhibited by 17-DMAG.
Hsp90 inhibitor treatment may be clinically applicable to enhance the apoptosis of melanoma cells in hyperthermic condition.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- SNX-2112 an Hsp90 inhibitor, induces apoptosis and autophagy via degradation of Hsp90 client proteins in human melanoma A-375 cells.Cancer Lett. 2012; 318: 180-188
- The RAS/RAF/MEK/ERK and PI3 K/AKT signaling pathways present molecular targets for the effective treatment of advanced melanoma.Front. Biosci. 2005; 10: 2986-3001
- Hsp90 inhibitors as novel cancer chemotherapeutic agents.Trends Mol. Med. 2002; 8: S55-S61
- Therapeutic potency of heat-shock protein-90 pharmacological inhibitors in the treatment of gastrointestinal cancer, current status and perspectives.J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 2018; 70: 151-158
- Phase II trial of 17-allylamino-17-demethoxygeldanamycin in patients with metastatic melanoma.Clin. Cancer Res. 2008; 14: 8302-8307
- Inhibition of HSP90 by AT13387 delays the emergence of resistance to BRAF inhibitors and overcomes resistance to dual BRAF and MEK inhibition in melanoma models.Mol. Cancer Ther. 2014; 13: 2793-2804
- B-Raf is required for ERK activation and tumor progression in a mouse model of pancreatic beta-cell carcinogenesis.Oncogene. 2008; 27: 4779-4787
- Mutations of the BRAF gene in human cancer.Nature. 2002; 417: 949-954
- Varying proliferative and clonogenic potential in NRAS-mutated congenital melanocytic nevi according to size.Exp. Dermatol. 2016; 25: 789-796
Published online: February 08, 2018
Received: September 6, 2017
© 2018 Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.