Exposure of the skin to ultraviolet radiation (UVR) has many detrimental effects, including sunburning/inflammation, photocarcinogenesis, and photoaging. Longwave ultraviolet radiation (UVA) has long been considered less damaging than shortwave ultraviolet radiation (UVB), but has since been recognized to be a complete carcinogen itself [
], to be a particular cause of photoaging, and to elicit a number of inflammatory photodermatoses. Cells are equipped to counteract the damaging effects of UVR and respond to UVR by altering the expression of thousands of genes [
- El-Ghissassi F.
- Baan R.
- Straif K.
- Grosse Y.
- Secretan B.
- Bouvard V.
- et al.
A review of human carcinogens–part D: radiation.
Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 751-752
]. The changes of gene expression are wavelength specific, a reflection of the fact that the cellular responses to UVA and UVB are profoundly different.
- Koch-Paiz C.A.
- Amundson S.A.
- Bittner M.L.
- Meltzer P.S.
- Fornace Jr., A.J.
Functional genomics of UV radiation responses in human cells.
Mutat. Res. 2004; 549: 65-78
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A review of human carcinogens–part D: radiation.Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 751-752
- Functional genomics of UV radiation responses in human cells.Mutat. Res. 2004; 549: 65-78
- Non-coding RNAs as direct and indirect modulators of epigenetic regulation.Epigenetics. 2014; 9: 3-12
- The landscape of long noncoding RNAs in the human transcriptome.Nat. Genet. 2015; 47: 199-208
- UVA and UVB induce different sets of lncRNAs.J. Invest. Dermatol. 2016; 137: 769-772
- Chemokines and leukocyte traffic.Nature. 1998; 392: 565-568
- Cytokine profile in human skin in response to experimental inflammation, noxious stimulation, and administration of a COX-inhibitor: a microdialysis study.Pain. 2008; 139: 15-27
- Induction of proinflammatory cytokines in human epidermoid carcinoma cells by in vitro ultraviolet A1 irradiation.Photochem. Photobiol. 1997; 65: 630-635
- Neutrophil infiltration in normal human skin after exposure to different ultraviolet radiation sources.Photochem. Photobiol. 2008; 84: 1528-1534
- Adhesion molecule expression in polymorphic light eruption.J. Invest. Dermatol. 1992; 99: 504-508
Published online: February 20, 2018
Accepted: February 16, 2018
Received in revised form: December 31, 2017
Received: November 9, 2017
© 2018 Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Erratum to The UVA-induced long non-coding RNA GS1-600G8.5 regulates the expression of IL-8, J. Dermatol. Sci. 90 June (3) (2018) 363–366Journal of Dermatological ScienceVol. 91Issue 2