- •Targeted sequencing was performed on matched primary localized and metastatic SCCs.
- •ERBB4 and STK11 mutations co-occurred in primary localized SCC.
- •Mutations in the Wnt pathway were detected in metastatic SCC only.
Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is the second most common type of skin cancer and is responsible for over one million cases annually. While only 3–5 % of SCCs metastasize, those that do are associated with significant morbidity and mortality. Using gene mutations to help predict metastasis and select therapeutics is still being explored.
To present novel data from targeted sequencing of 20 case-matched localized and metastatic high-risk SCCs.
A cancer-associated gene panel of 76 genes was run from formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded samples of 20 case-matched localized (10) and metastatic (10) high-risk SCCs (Vela Diagnostics).
Using spatial clustering analysis, primary driver mutations were identified asEGFR in localized SCC and CDH1 in metastatic SCC. ERBB4 and STK11 were found to be significant co-occurring mutations in localized SCC. Pathway analyses showed the RTK/RAS, TP53, TGF-b, NOTCH1, PI3K, and cell cycle pathways to be highly relevant in all high-risk SCCs with the Wnt pathway enhanced in metastatic SCC only.
This study compared gene mutations between localized and metastatic SCC with the intent of identifying key differences and new potential targeted treatment options. To our knowledge, the co-occurrence ofERBB4 and STK11 mutations has not been previously reported. Targeted inhibition of CDH1 and the Wnt pathway should be further explored in metastatic SCC.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: estimated incidence of disease, nodal metastasis, and deaths from disease in the United States, 2012.J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 2013; 68: 957-966
- Analysis of risk factors determining prognosis of cutaneous squamous-cell carcinoma: a prospective study.Lancet Oncol. 2008; 9: 713-720
- Evaluation of American joint committee on cancer, international union against cancer, and Brigham and women’s hospital tumor staging for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma.J. Clin. Oncol. 2014; 32: 327-334
- Defining the clinical course of metastatic skin cancer in organ transplant recipients: a multicenter collaborative study.Arch. Dermatol. 2003; 139: 301-306
- dbSNP—database for single nucleotide polymorphisms and other classes of minor genetic variation.Genome Res. 1999; 9: 677-679
- COSMIC - Catalogue of Somatic Mutations in Cancer.(September 5, Retrieved November 1, 2019, from https://cancer.sanger.ac.uk/cosmic)2019
- ClinVar.2019 (Retrieved October 1, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/clinvar/)
- Maftools: efficient and comprehensive analysis of somatic variants in cancer.Genome Res. 2018; (PMID: 30341162)
- GenVisR: genomic visualizations in r.Bioinformatics. 2016; 32 (3012 3013 3014)
- OncodriveCLUST: exploiting the positional clustering of somatic mutations to identify cancer genes.Bioinformatics. 2013; 29: 2238-2244
- Signatures of mutational processes in human cancer.Nature. 2013; 500: 415-421
- A role for sunlight in skin cancer: UV-induced p53 mutations in squamous cell carcinoma.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 1991; 88: 10124-10128
- Loss-of-function mutations in Notch receptors in cutaneous and lung squamous cell carcinoma.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2011; 108: 17761-17766
- Differential mutation frequencies in metastatic cutaneous squamous cell carcinomas versus primary tumors.Cancer. 2017; 123: 1184-1193
- Genomic analysis of metastatic cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma.Clin. Cancer Res. 2015; 21: 1447-1456
- Dynamic and unpredictable changes in mutant allele fractions of BRAF and NRAS during visceral progression of cutaneous malignant melanoma.BMC Cancer. 2019; 19: 786
- Analysis of mutant allele fractions in driver genes in colorectal cancer - biological and clinical insights.Mol. Oncol. 2017; 11: 1263-1272
- Wnt signaling in cancer.Oncogene. 2017; 36: 1461-1473
- Specific knockdown of HOXB7 inhibits cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma cell migration and invasion while inducing apoptosis via the Wnt/β-catenin signaling pathway.Am. J. Physiol., Cell Physiol. 2018; 315: C675-C686
- Phase Ib results of the rational combination of Selumetinib and cyclosporin a in advanced solid tumors with an expansion cohort in metastatic colorectal cancer.Cancer Res. 2018; 78: 5398-5407
- Signal transduction and oncogenesis by ErbB/HER receptors.Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 2004; 58: 903-913
- STK11/LKB1 deficiency promotes neutrophil recruitment and proinflammatory cytokine production to suppress T-cell activity in the lung tumor microenvironment.Cancer Res. 2016; 76: 999-1008
- Protein kinase LKB1 promotes RAB7-mediated neuropilin-1 degradation to inhibit angiogenesis.J. Clin. Invest. 2014; 124: 4590-4602
- Effects of Co-occurring genomic alterations on outcomes in patients with KRAS-mutant non-small cell lung cancer.Clin. Cancer Res. 2018; 24: 334-340
- Different prognostic impact of STK11 mutations in non-squamous non-small-cell lung cancer.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 23831-23840
- Mutation of Lkb1 and p53 genes exert a cooperative effect on tumorigenesis.Cancer Res. 2005; 65: 11297-11303
- The EGFR family and its ligands in human cancer. Signalling mechanisms and therapeutic opportunities.Eur. J. Cancer. 2001; 4: S3-8
- Cisplatin and cetuximab treatment for metastatic cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: a systematic review.Dermatol. Surg. 2017; 43: 40-49
- Response of cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma to treatment with cetuximab.Dermatol. Surg. 2019; 45: 313-316
- Dacomitinib, an irreversible Pan-ErbB inhibitor significantly abrogates growth in head and neck cancer models that exhibit low response to cetuximab.PLoS One. 2013; 8e56112
- Therapeutic targeting of epidermal growth factor receptor in human cancer: successes and limitations.Chin. J. Cancer. 2011; 30: 5-12
- Clinicaltrials.gov. NIH National Library of Medicine.2019 (Retrieved October 1, from)
- Cell adhesion: the molecular basis of tissue architecture and morphogenesis.Cell. 1996; 84: 345-357
- Loss of CDH1 (E-cadherin) expression is associated with infiltrative tumour growth and lymph node metastasis.Br. J. Cancer. 2016; 114: 199-206
- Characterisation of prognosis and invasion of cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma by Podoplanin and E-Cadherin expression.Dermatology. 2016; 232: 558-565
- Restoring E-cadherin expression by natural compounds for anticancer therapies in genital and urinary cancers.Mol. Ther. Oncolytics. 2019; 27: 130-138
- The genomic landscape of cutaneous SCC reveals drivers and a novel azathioprine associated mutational signature.Nat. Commun. 2018; 9: 3667
- Exploring the implications of distinct mutational signatures and mutation rates in aging and cancer.Genome Med. 2016; 8 (30. Published 2016 Mar 17)
- Tobacco smoking and cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: a 16-year longitudinal population-based study.Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2011; 20: 1778-1783
- A retrospective cohort study of cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma with lymph node metastasis: risk factors and clinical course.Dermatol. Surg. 2019; 45: 772-781
- Anti-tumor effect of CDK inhibitors on CDKN2A-defective squamous cell lung cancer cells.Cell Oncol. (Dordr). 2018; 41: 663-675
- Cetuximab as a component of multimodality treatment of high-risk cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: a retrospective analysis from a single tertiary academic medical center.Dermatol. Surg. 2019; 45: 254-267
- Phase II study of single-agent panitumumab in patients with incurable cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma.Ann. Oncol. 2014; 25: 2047-2052
- Tipifarnib targets HRAS-mutant cancers.Cancer Discov. 2019; 9: 1637-1638
- Therapeutic targeting of cancers with loss of PTEN function.Curr. Drug Targets. 2014; 15: 65-79
- Akt inhibitor MK-2206 promotes anti-tumor activity and cell death by modulation of AIF and Ezrin in colorectal cancer.BMC Cancer. 2014; 14: 145
Published online: May 29, 2020
Accepted: May 12, 2020
Received in revised form: May 1, 2020
Received: January 15, 2020
Published by Elsevier B.V. on behalf of Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology.