- •DAB2 expression was enhanced in the skin of SSc patients and DAB2 knockdown ameliorated skin fibrosis induced by BLM.
- •DAB2 knockdown suppressed the number of inflammatory cells and inflammatory gene expression in BLM-induced mouse skin.
- •DAB2 knockdown suppressed the activation of skin fibroblasts.
- •Transcriptome analysis of DAB2 siRNA transfected SSc skin fibroblasts.
Systemic sclerosis (SSc) is a connective tissue disease characterized by inflammation and fibrosis. Our previous research found Disabled-2 (DAB2) expression was significantly downregulated by salvianolic acid B, a small molecular medicine which attenuated experimental skin fibrosis of SSc. These suggest that DAB2 plays an important role in SSc skin fibrosis, but the role of DAB2 in SSc remains unclear.
To investigate the role of DAB2 in SSc.
DAB2 expression level was detected in the skin and peripheral blood mononuclear cells of SSc patients. Bleomycin (BLM)-induced SSc mice and primary SSc skin fibroblasts were used to investigate the effect of DAB2 downregulation on fibrosis. RNA-seq transcriptome analysis was performed to underlie the mechanism of DAB2 in fibroblasts.
DAB2 expression was enhanced in SSc lesion skin and was positively correlated with fibrotic genes, such as α-SMA and PAI-1. The in vivo study revealed that DAB2 downregulation alleviated skin fibrosis, alleviating skin thickness and reducing collagen deposition, and DAB2 knockdown ameliorated the inflammatory cell infiltration. The in vitro study showed that DAB2 knockdown reduced extracellular matrix genes and proteins expression. Moreover, Transcriptome analysis revealed TGF-β and focal adhesion signaling pathways were the main downregulated pathways involved in DAB2 siRNA treated fibroblasts.
Taken together, our results revealed that DAB2 was increased in SSc skin, and DAB2 downregulation inhibited BLM-induced mouse skin fibrosis and SSc skin fibroblasts activation. DAB2 played an important role in the pathogenesis of SSc and DAB2 modulation may represent a potential therapeutic method for SSc.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Systemic sclerosis: a prototypic multisystem fibrotic disorder.J. Clin. Invest. 2007; 117: 557-567
- Criteria for the classification of early systemic sclerosis.J. Rheumatol. 2001; 28: 1573-1576
- Skin involvement in systemic sclerosis.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2008; 47: v44-5
- Quality of life in systemic sclerosis: psychometric properties of the World Health Organization disability assessment schedule II.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 59: 270-278
- Scleroderma: from cell and molecular mechanisms to disease models.Trends Immunol. 2005; 26: 587-595
- Gastrointestinal manifestations of systemic sclerosis.J. Scleroderma Relat. Disord. 2016; 1: 247-256
- Fibroblasts and myofibroblasts in wound healing.Clin. Cosmet. Invest. Dermatol. 2014; 7: 301-311
- The mighty fibroblast and its utility in scleroderma research.J. Scleroderma Relat. Disord. 2017; 2: 69-134
- Inhibition of focal adhesion kinase prevents experimental lung fibrosis and myofibroblast formation.Arthritis Rheum. 2012; 64: 1653-1664
- Postnatal induction of transforming growth factor beta signaling in fibroblasts of mice recapitulates clinical, histologic, and biochemical features of scleroderma.Arthritis Rheum. 2007; 56: 334-344
- Loss of Dab2 expression in breast cancer cells impairs their ability to deplete TGF-beta and induce Tregs development via TGF-beta.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e91709
- The adaptor protein disabled-2: new insights into platelet biology and integrin signaling.Thromb. J. 2016; 14: 28
- Salvianolic acid B attenuates experimental pulmonary fibrosis through inhibition of the TGF-beta signaling pathway.Sci. Rep. 2016; 6: 27610
- Salvianolic acid B attenuates experimental pulmonary inflammation by protecting endothelial cells against oxidative stress injury.Eur. J. Pharmacol. 2018; 840: 9-19
- 2013 classification criteria for systemic sclerosis an American college of rheumatology/European league against rheumatism collaborative initiative.Arthritis Rheum. 2013; 65: 2737-2747
- Near-optimal probabilistic RNA-seq quantification.Nat. Biotechnol. 2016; 34: 525-527
- Differential analysis of RNA-seq incorporating quantification uncertainty.Nat. Methods. 2017; 14: 687-690
- ClusterProfiler: an R package for comparing biological themes among gene clusters.OMICS. 2012; 16: 284-287
- Endocytosis of megalin by visceral endoderm cells requires the Dab2 adaptor protein.J. Cell. Sci. 2005; 118: 5345-5355
- Disabled-2 downregulation promotes epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition.Br. J. Cancer. 2010; 103: 1716-1723
- Dab2 is a key regulator of endocytosis and post-endocytic trafficking of the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator.Biochem. J. 2012; 441: 633-643
- Genome-wide DNA methylation analysis in systemic sclerosis reveals hypomethylation of IFN-associated genes in CD4(+) and CD8(+) t cells.J. Invest. Dermatol. 2018; 138: 1069-1077
- Focal adhesion kinase: a key mediator of transforming growth factor beta signaling in fibroblasts.Adv. Wound Care (New Rochelle). 2013; 2: 247-249
- Signaling in fibrosis: targeting the TGF beta, endothelin-1 and CCN2 axis in scleroderma.Front. Biosci. (Elite Ed.). 2009; 1: 115-122
- Transforming growth factor-beta signaling through the Smad pathway: role in extracellular matrix gene expression and regulation.J. Invest. Dermatol. 2002; 118: 211-215
- Controlled delivery of a focal adhesion kinase inhibitor results in accelerated wound closure with decreased scar formation.J. Invest. Dermatol. 2018; 138: 2452-2460
- Type II transforming growth factor-beta receptor recycling is dependent upon the clathrin adaptor protein Dab2.Mol. Biol. Cell. 2010; 21: 4009-4019
- Focal adhesion kinase regulates fibroblast migration via integrin beta-1 and plays a central role in fibrosis.Sci. Rep. 2016; 6: 19276
Published online: June 02, 2020
Accepted: May 24, 2020
Received in revised form: May 20, 2020
Received: November 17, 2019
© 2020 Published by Elsevier B.V. on behalf of Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology.