- •Patients with PSENEN mutations revealed decreased expression of PEN2 mRNA and protein.
- •Silencing PSENEN in keratinocytes affected NCT maturation and PS1 phosphorylation.
- •Knockdown of PSENEN in keratinocytes led to the activation EGFR signaling.
- •Silencing PSENEN did not obviously impact proliferation and differentiation of HaCaT.
- •PSENEN mutations alone may be insufficient to cause the development of acne inversa.
The effects of PSENEN mutations in patients with acne inversa (AI) are poorly understood. Hyperproliferation of follicular keratinocytes and resulting occlusion may constitute the initial pathophysiology.
To investigate the effects of PSENEN knockdown on γ-secretase subunits, biological behaviors, and related signaling pathways in keratinocytes.
HaCaT cells were divided into an experimental group (PSENEN knock down), a negative control group, and a blank control group. Whole transcriptome sequencing was used to measure differences in mRNA expression of the whole genome; real-time PCR and Western blotting were performed to determine the interference efficiency and the effects of interference on the components of γ-secretase and related molecules. CCK-8 was used to measure cell proliferation, and flow cytometry was used to measure apoptosis and the cell cycle.
A comparison of five healthy controls with three patients with PSENEN mutation (c.66delG, c.279delC, c.229_230insCACC) revealed decreased expression of mRNA and protein in skin lesions of the experimental group. In this group, expression of the other components of γ-secretase presenilin C-terminal fragment decreased, expression of immature nicastrin increased, expression of mature nicastrin decreased, and expression of anterior pharynx defective-1 remained unchanged. KEGG analysis revealed that differentially expressed molecules were enriched in m-TOR signaling pathways. Subsequent verification confirmed that differences in PI3K-AKT-mTOR signaling pathway molecules, cell proliferation, apoptosis, cell cycle and the expression levels of Ki-67, KRT1, and IVL between the groups were not statistically significant.
PSENEN mutations alone may be insufficient to cause the development of AI, or they may only induce a mild phenotype of AI.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The genetics of hidradenitis suppurativa.Dermatol. Clin. 2016; 34: 23-28
- Alterations in innate immunity and epithelial cell differentiation are the molecular pillars of hidradenitis suppurativa.J. Eur. Acad. Dermatol. Venereol. 2020; 34: 846-861
- Nicastrin mutations in familial acne inversa impact keratinocyte proliferation and differentiation through the Notch and phosphoinositide 3-kinase/AKT signalling pathways.Br. J. Dermatol. 2016; 174: 522-532
- Physiological and pathological roles of the γ-secretase complex.Brain Res. Bull. 2016; 126: 199-206
- The topology of pen-2, a gamma-secretase subunit, revisited: evidence for a reentrant loop and a single pass transmembrane domain.Mol. Neurodegener. 2015; 10: 39
- Structural basis of human gamma-secretase assembly.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2015; 112: 6003-6008
- Analysis of hidradenitis suppurativa-linked mutations in four genes and the effects of PSEN1-P242LfsX11 on cytokine and chemokine expression in macrophages.Hum. Mol. Genet. 2019; 28: 1173-1182
- An atomic structure of human γ-secretase.Nature. 2015; 525: 212-217
- Inter-rater reliability of phenotypes and exploratory genotype-phenotype analysis in inherited hidradenitis suppurativa.Br. J. Dermatol. 2019; 181: 566-571
- Novel mutations in PSENEN gene in two Chinese acne inversa families manifested as familial multiple comedones and Dowling-Degos Disease.Chin. Med. J. 2016; 129: 2834-2839
- PSENEN and NCSTN mutations in familial hidradenitis suppurativa (Acne Inversa).J. Invest. Dermatol. 2011; 131: 1568-1570
- A unique clinical phenotype of a patient bearing a newly identified deletion mutation in the PSENEN gene along with the pathogenic serum desmoglein-1 antibody.Clin. Exp. Dermatol. 2018; 43: 329-332
- Intra- and interfamilial phenotype variability associated with mutations in gamma-secretase subunit-encoding PSENEN.J. Invest. Dermatol. 2018; 138: 1215-1218
- PSENEN mutation carriers with co-manifestation of acne inversa (AI) and Dowling-Degos Disease (DDD): Is AI or DDD the subphenotype?.J. Invest. Dermatol. 2017; 137: 2234-2236
- A systematic review and critical evaluation of reported pathogenic sequence variants in hidradenitis suppurativa.Br. J. Dermatol. 2017; 177: 987-998
- Low prevalence of GSC gene mutations in a large cohort of predominantly Caucasian patients with hidradenitis suppurativa.J. Invest. Dermatol. 2020; 140: 2085-2088
- Coexistence of acne inversa with psoriasis and Dowling-Degos disease harboring impaired PSENEN-Notch signaling.Chin. Med. J. 2020; 133: 2383-2385
- Gamma-secretase gene mutations in familial acne inversa.Science. 2010; 330: 1065
- Unraveling the complexity of gamma-secretase.Semin. Cell Dev. Biol. 2020; 105: 3-11
- The many substrates of presenilin/gamma-secretase.J. Alzheimers Dis. 2011; 25: 3-28
- Notch signaling in bulge stem cells is not required for selection of hair follicle fate.Development (Cambridge, England). 2009; 136: 891-896
- Aetiology and pathogenesis of hidradenitis suppurativa.Br. J. Dermatol. 2020; 183: 999-1010
- Hidradenitis suppurativa: haploinsufficiency of gamma-secretase components does not affect gamma-secretase enzyme activity in vitro.Br. J. Dermatol. 2016; 175: 632-635
- Pen-2 is essential for γ-secretase complex stability and trafficking but partially dispensable for endoproteolysis.Biochemistry. 2014; 53: 4393-4406
- Both the sequence and length of the C terminus of PEN-2 are critical for intermolecular interactions and function of presenilin complexes.J. Biol. Chem. 2004; 279: 46455-46463
- Immature nicastrin stabilizes APH-1 independent of PEN-2 and presenilin: identification of nicastrin mutants that selectively interact with APH-1.J. Neurochem. 2004; 89: 1520-1527
- Co-expressed presenilin 1 NTF and CTF form functional gamma-secretase complexes in cells devoid of full-length protein.J. Neurochem. 2004; 89: 44-53
- EGFR family-mediated signal transduction in the human keratinocyte cell line HaCaT.Exp. Cell Res. 1999; 252: 432-438
- Differential utilization and localization of ErbB receptor tyrosine kinases in skin compared to normal and malignant keratinocytes.Neoplasia. 2001; 3: 339-350
- Increased expression profile of NCSTN, Notch and PI3K/AKT3 in hidradenitis suppurativa.J. Eur. Acad. Dermatol. Venereol. 2020; 35: 203-210
- AKT-dependent hyperproliferation of keratinocytes in familial hidradenitis suppurativa with a NCSTN mutation: a potential role of defective miR-100-5p.Br. J. Dermatol. 2020; 182: 500-502
- Hair follicle stem cell replication stress drives IFI16/STING-dependent inflammation in hidradenitis suppurativa.J. Clin. Invest. 2020; 130: 3777-3790
- Mechanistic target of rapamycin (mTOR) expression is increased in acne patients’ skin.Exp. Dermatol. 2016; 25: 153-155
- Epidermal mTORC1 signaling contributes to the pathogenesis of psoriasis and could serve as a therapeutic target.Front. Immunol. 2018; 9: 2786
- Mammalian target of rapamycin, insulin resistance and hidradenitis suppurativa: a possible metabolic loop.J. Eur. Acad. Dermatol. Venereol. 2016; 30: 1631-1633
- Acne and hidradenitis suppurativa.Br. J. Dermatol. 2018; 178: 619-631
- A novel NCSTN mutation alone may be insufficient for the development of familial hidradenitis suppurativa.J. Dermatol. Sci. 2014; 74: 180-182
- Comorbidities or different entities? Phenotype variability associated with PSENEN mutations.Br. J. Dermatol. 2019; 180: 221-222
- Hidradenitis suppurativa: a systematic review integrating inflammatory pathways into a cohesive pathogenic model.Front. Immunol. 2018; 9: 2965
Published online: June 18, 2021
Accepted: June 16, 2021
Received in revised form: May 11, 2021
Received: February 16, 2021
© 2021 Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.