- •ATP is known to serve as a mediator of UV-induced melanogenesis.
- •P2×7 receptor transduces extracellular ATP signal in melanocytes.
- •7-desaxacetoxy-6,7-dehydrogedunin (7DG) has P2×7 inhibiting effect.
- •7DG showed anti-melanogenic effect by suppressing ATP-P2×7 signal.
Abbreviations:7DG (7-desacetoxy-6,7-dehydrogedunin), ATP (adenosine 5′-triphosphate), α-MSH (α-melanocyte-stimulating hormone), DMEM (Dulbecco's Modified Eagle Medium), Gp100 (glycoprotein 100), HBSS (Hanks' Balanced Salt Solution), HOS (Human osteosarcoma), HTS (high throughput screening), MITF (Microphthalmia-associated transcription factor), MTT assay ([4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl]− 2,5-diphenyltrazolium bromide assay), PHDF (primary human dermal fibroblast), PHEK (primary human epidermal keratinocyte), PHEM (primary human epidermal melanocyte), PKA (cAMP-dependent protein kinase A), PKC (protein kinase C), UV (ultraviolet), UVB (ultraviolet B)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Regulation of human skin pigmentation and responses to ultraviolet radiation.Pigment Cell Res. 2007; 20: 2-13
- Biphasic expression of two paracrine melanogenic cytokines, stem cell factor and endothelin-1, in ultraviolet B-induced human melanogenesis.Am. J. Pathol. 2004; 165: 2099-2109
- Endothelin-1 as a new melanogen: coordinated expression of its gene and the tyrosinase gene in UVB-exposed human epidermis.J. Invest Dermatol. 1995; 105: 32-37
- Recent development of signaling pathways inhibitors of melanogenesis.Cell Signal. 2017; 40: 99-115
- Efficacy and safety of liposome-encapsulated 4-n-butylresorcinol 0.1% cream for the treatment of melasma: a randomized controlled split-face trial.J. Dermatol. 2010; 37: 311-315
- 4-n-butylresorcinol, a highly effective tyrosinase inhibitor for the topical treatment of hyperpigmentation.J. Eur. Acad. Dermatol. Venereol. 27. 2013; Suppl 1: 19-23
- Nucleotide- and nucleoside-converting ectoenzymes: important modulators of purinergic signalling cascade.Biochim Biophys. Acta. 2008; 1783: 673-694
- The P2×7 receptor: a main player in inflammation.Biochem Pharm. 2018; 151: 234-244
- P2×7 receptor as a therapeutic target.Adv. Protein Chem. Struct. Biol. 2016; 104: 39-79
- The P2×7 receptor in inflammatory diseases: angel or demon?.Front Pharm. 2018; 9: 52
- Critical role of ATP-P2×7 axis in UV-induced melanogenesis.J. Invest Dermatol. 2019; 139 (e1556): 1554-1563
- AZD-9056, a P2×7 receptor inhibitor, suppresses ATP-induced melanogenesis.J. Dermatol. Sci. 2020; 100: 227-229
- Development of high-throughput fluorescent-based screens to accelerate discovery of P2X inhibitors from animal venoms.J. Nat. Prod. 2019; 82: 2559-2567
- The P2×7 receptor is an important regulator of extracellular ATP levels.Front Endocrinol. (Lausanne). 2012; 3: 41
- Towards the development of a simplified long-term organ culture method for human scalp skin and its appendages under serum-free conditions.Exp. Dermatol. 2007; 16: 37-44
- Characterization of epidermal wound healing in a human skin organ culture model: acceleration by transplanted keratinocytes.J. Invest Dermatol. 1998; 111: 251-258
- A simple statistical parameter for use in evaluation and validation of high throughput screening assays.J. Biomol. Screen. 1999; 4: 67-73
- Chemical genetics reveals a kinase-independent role for protein kinase R in pyroptosis.Nat. Chem. Biol. 2013; 9: 398-405
- UV-induced DNA damage and melanin content in human skin differing in racial/ethnic origin.Faseb J. 2003; 17: 1177-1179
- The hunt for natural skin whitening agents.Int J. Mol. Sci. 2009; 10: 5326-5349
- Overview of skin whitening agents with an insight into the illegal cosmetic market in Europe.J. Eur. Acad. Dermatol. Venereol. 2016; 30: 943-950
- Rhododendrol, a depigmentation-inducing phenolic compound, exerts melanocyte cytotoxicity via a tyrosinase-dependent mechanism.Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2014; 27: 754-763
- Rhododendrol-induced leukoderma update II: Pathophysiology, mechanisms, risk evaluation, and possible mechanism-based treatments in comparison with vitiligo.J. Dermatol. 2021; 48: 969-978
- Role of extracellular adenosine triphosphate in human skin.J. Cutan. Med Surg. 2004; 8: 90-96
- High-throughput, high-content screening for novel pigmentation regulators using a keratinocyte/melanocyte co-culture system.Exp. Dermatol. 2014; 23: 125-129
- A high-throughput screening platform for pigment regulating agents using pluripotent stem cell-derived melanocytes.Exp. Dermatol. 2021; 30: 691-697
- Development of tyrosinase promoter-based fluorescent assay for screening of anti-melanogenic agents.Biol. Pharm. Bull. 2015; 38: 1542-1547
- Biological activities of gedunin-a limonoid from the meliaceae family.Molecules. 2020; 25
- Fluorinated and rearranged gedunin derivatives.Phytochem. Lett. 2012; 5: 486-489
- Hsp90 inhibitor gedunin causes apoptosis in A549 lung cancer cells by disrupting Hsp90:Beclin-1:Bcl-2 interaction and downregulating autophagy.Life Sci. 2020; 256118000
- Gedunin isolated from the mangrove plant Xylocarpus granatum exerts its anti-proliferative activity in ovarian cancer cells through G2/M-phase arrest and oxidative stress-mediated intrinsic apoptosis.Apoptosis. 2020; 25: 481-499
- Molecular mechanisms of anti-melanogenic gedunin derived from neem tree (azadirachta indica) using B16F10 mouse melanoma cells and early-stage zebrafish.Plants (Basel). 2021; 10
- Limonoids from Azadirachta indica var. siamensis extracts and their cytotoxic and melanogenesis-inhibitory activities.Chem. Biodivers. 2014; 11: 505-531