- •MCM6 is upregulated in psoriatic lesions and required for keratinocytes proliferation.
- •MCM6 is regulated by the JAK/STAT3 pathway in keratinocytes.
- •Benvitimod could inhibit the JAK/STAT3 pathway by activating AHR of keratinocytes.
Benvitimod (Tapinarof), as a small-molecule topical therapeutical aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AHR)-modulating agent, is in clinical development for treating psoriasis and atopic dermatitis. Benvitimod reduces proinflammatory cytokines in psoriasis by specifically binding and activation of AHR. However, whether benvitimod can inhibit keratinocyte proliferation remains unclear. Minichromosome maintenance protein 6 (MCM6) is a key element of the prereplication complex (pre-RC) assembly which is one of the essential steps in the initiation of DNA replication for cell proliferation.
This study aimed to determine whether benvitimod could reduce the excessive proliferation of psoriatic keratinocytes by inhibiting MCM6.
We examined the inhibitory effect of benvitimod on MCM6-mediated proliferation of keratinocytes by HaCaT cells in vitro and an IMQ-induced psoriatic model of mice in vivo.
Epidermal MCM6 expression was enhanced in the skin lesions of psoriatic patients. The experiments further revealed that MCM6 was required for the proliferation of keratinocytes and governed by the IL-22/STAT3 pathway. In addition, the antiproliferation effect of benvitimod is achieved by the inhibition of p-JAK1 and p-JAK2, which further restrained the activation of STAT3 in keratinocytes. Lastly, benvitimod could repressed imiquimod-induced skin lesions and the expression of epidermal MCM6 and p-STAT3 in mice. Moreover, knockdown of AHR in keratinocytes enhanced the activation of JAK1 and JAK2.
The findings reveal that benvitimod could decrease MCM6-mediated proliferation of keratinocytes by affecting the JAK/STAT3 pathway, thereby serving as a new treatment modality for psoriasis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The psychosocial adaptation of patients with skin disease: a scoping review.BMC Public Health. 2019; 19: 1404
- A systematic review of worldwide epidemiology of psoriasis.J. Eur. Acad. Dermatol. Venereol. JEADV. 2017; 31: 205-212
- Pathophysiology, clinical presentation, and treatment of psoriasis: a review.JAMA. 2020; 323: 1945-1960
- Indirubin attenuates IL-17A-induced CCL20 expression and production in keratinocytes through repressing TAK1 signaling pathway.Int. Immunopharmacol. 2021; 94107229
- Current concepts of psoriasis immunopathogenesis.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2021; 22
- IL-23/Th17 axis: a potential therapeutic target of psoriasis.Curr. Drug Res. Rev. 2022; 14: 24-36
- Keratinocyte: a trigger or an executor of psoriasis?.J. Leukoc. Biol. 2020; 108: 485-491
- Joint AAD-NPF guidelines of care for the management and treatment of psoriasis with biologics.J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 2019; 80: 1029-1072
- Topical therapies for psoriasis: improving management strategies and patient adherence.Semin. Cutan Med. Surg. 2016; 35
- Classical to current approach for treatment of psoriasis: a review.Endocr. Metab. Immune Disord. Drug Targets. 2012; 12: 287-302
- The aryl hydrocarbon receptor at the forefront of host-microbe interactions in the skin: a perspective on current knowledge gaps and directions for future research and therapeutic applications.Exp. Dermatol. 2021; 30: 1477-1483
- The preponderance of evidence supports an aryl hydrocarbon receptor-dependent mechanism of action of tapinarof.J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 2021; 85: e35-e36
- Tapinarof and the future of topical treatments in plaque psoriasis.J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 2021; 84: e283-e284
- Total glucosides of paeony attenuates animal psoriasis induced inflammatory response through inhibiting STAT1 and STAT3 phosphorylation.J. Ethnopharmacol. 2019; 243112121
- 2'-fucosyllactose inhibits imiquimod-induced psoriasis in mice by regulating Th17 cell response via the STAT3 signaling pathway.Int. Immunopharmacol. 2020; 85106659
- Psoriasis: a STAT3-centric view.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2018; 19
- Shikonin induces apoptosis and suppresses growth in keratinocytes via CEBP-δ upregulation.Int. Immunopharmacol. 2019; 72: 511-521
- miR-383 reduces keratinocyte proliferation and induces the apoptosis in psoriasis via disruption of LCN2-dependent JAK/STAT pathway activation.Int. Immunopharmacol. 2021; 96107587
- Stat3 as a therapeutic target for the treatment of psoriasis: a clinical feasibility study with STA-21, a Stat3 inhibitor.J. Investig. Dermatol. 2011; 131: 108-117
- The DNA replication regulator MCM6: an emerging cancer biomarker and target.Clin. Chim. Acta Int. J. Clin. Chem. 2021; 517: 92-98
- MCM6 indicates adverse tumor features and poor outcomes and promotes G1/S cell cycle progression in neuroblastoma.BMC Cancer. 2021; 21: 784
- Dihydroartemisinin inhibits the proliferation, colony formation and induces ferroptosis of lung cancer cells by inhibiting PRIM2/SLC7A11 axis.OncoTargets Ther. 2020; 13: 10829-10840
- The potential of Diosgenin in treating psoriasis: studies from HaCaT keratinocytes and imiquimod-induced murine model.Life Sci. 2020; 241117115
- Targeting interleukin-22 in psoriasis.Inflammation. 2014; 37: 94-99
- IL-22 and IL-20 are key mediators of the epidermal alterations in psoriasis while IL-17 and IFN-gamma are not.J. Mol. Med. 2009; 87: 523-536
- Tapinarof in the treatment of psoriasis: a review of the unique mechanism of action of a novel therapeutic aryl hydrocarbon receptor-modulating agent.J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 2021; 84: 1059-1067
- The cyclin D1-dependent kinase associates with the pre-replication complex and modulates RB.MCM7 binding.J. Biol. Chem. 2003; 278: 9754-9760
- Cyclin-dependent kinase 4/6 activity is a critical determinant of pre-replication complex assembly.Oncogene. 2008; 27: 7083-7093
- Total alkaloids of Rubus aleaefolius Poir. inhibit the STAT3 signaling pathway leading to suppression of proliferation and cell cycle arrest in a mouse model of hepatocellular carcinoma.Oncol. Rep. 2013; 30: 1309-1314
- Interleukin-22, a T(H)17 cytokine, mediates IL-23-induced dermal inflammation and acanthosis.Nature. 2007; 445: 648-651
- Phase 3 trials of tapinarof cream for plaque psoriasis.N. Engl. J. Med. 2021; 385: 2219-2229
- Diosmin restores the skin barrier by targeting the aryl hydrocarbon receptor in atopic dermatitis.Phytomed. Int. J. Phytother. Phytopharm. 2021; 81153418
- IL-24 Negatively regulates keratinocyte differentiation induced by tapinarof, an aryl hydrocarbon receptor modulator: implication in the treatment of atopic dermatitis.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2020; 21
- IL-22 is required for Th17 cell-mediated pathology in a mouse model of psoriasis-like skin inflammation.J. Clin. Investig. 2008; 118: 597-607
- Cytokine signaling in 2002: new surprises in the Jak/Stat pathway.Cell. 2002; : S121-S131
Published online: January 29, 2023
Accepted: January 27, 2023
Received in revised form: January 17, 2023
Received: October 7, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.