Pattern hair loss (PHL) is a common heritable trait affecting both males and females (MPHL and FPHL, respectively). Although follicular miniaturization is the hallmark of PHL, assumptions implicating inflammatory infiltration around perifollicular areas have received attention. Leukocyte migration requires L-selectin, which is encoded by SELL. Several genes, including AR and SRD5A2, were associated with PHL under a non-Asian genetic architecture in a previous genome-wide association study [
]. However, no study has yet evaluated the possible genetic effects of SELL polymorphisms in PHL. Thus, we decided to investigate the possible relationship between the genetic variation of SELL and PHL in the Thai population.
- Heilmann-Heimbach S.
- Herold C.
- Hochfeld L.M.
- Hillmer A.M.
- Nyholt D.R.
- Hecker J.
- et al.
Meta-analysis identifies novel risk loci and yields systematic insights into the biology of male-pattern baldness.
Nat. Commun. 2017; 8: 14694
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Meta-analysis identifies novel risk loci and yields systematic insights into the biology of male-pattern baldness.Nat. Commun. 2017; 8: 14694
- Evaluation of male fertility-associated loci in a European population of patients with severe spermatogenic impairment.J. Pers. Med. 2021; 11: 22
- Open Targets Genetics: systematic identification of trait-associated genes using large-scale genetics and functional genomics.Nucleic Acids Res. 2020; 49: D1311-D1320
- Impact of genetic polymorphisms on human immune cell gene expression.Cell. 2018; 175 (.e16): 1701-1715
- The GeneCards Suite, Practical Guide to Life Science Databases.Springer, 2021: 27-56
- Transcriptome and phenotypic analysis reveals GATA3-dependent signalling pathways in murine hair follicles.Development. 2007; 134: 261-272
- Retrotransposon insertion in the T-cell acute lymphocytic leukemia 1 (Tal1) gene is associated with severe renal disease and patchy alopecia in hairpatches (Hpt) mice.PLoS One. 2013; 8e53426.
- Ensembl 2022.Nucleic Acids Res. 2021; 50: D988-D995
- l-selectin: a major regulator of leukocyte adhesion, migration and signaling.Front. Immunol. 2019; 10
- Sex-specific genetic architecture of human disease.Nat. Rev. Genet. 2008; 9: 911-922
Published online: February 14, 2023
Accepted: February 13, 2023
Received in revised form: January 11, 2023
Received: October 11, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.