This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
To investigate cerebral lesions in patients with antiphospholipid antibodies only complaining of mild headaches, but without any neurological abnormalities or abnormal computerized tomography or magnetic resonance imaging findings, brain single photon emission computerized tomography (SPECT) using N-isopropyl-p-[123I]iodoamphetamine was employed as a sensitive method. Focal low perfusion areas and/or non-uniform radioisotope uptake could be shown on brain SPECT in all patients. Quantification of cerebral blood flow with a microsphere method revealed decreased cerebral blood flow. Hypoperfusion areas might be caused by microarterial thrombosis, microvenous thrombosis or vascular spasms. Early detection of cerebral abnormalities allows steps to be taken to protect against irreversible progress of cerebral blood flow. Therefore, brain SPECT should be performed in patients with antiphospholipid antibodies.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Anti-phospho- lipid antibodies.Clin Rheum Dis. 1985; 11: 591-609
- Anti-phospholipid syndrome.in: Arthritis and Allied Conditions, A Textbook of Rheumatology. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia1986: 1068-1079
- Anticardiolipin antibodies: detection by radioimmunoassay and association with thrombosis in systemic lupus erythematosus.Lancet. 1983; 2: 1211-1214
- The use of single photon emission computerized tomography in neuropsychiatric SLE: a pilot study.J Rheumatol. 1995; 22: 1247-1253
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and cerebral ischemia in young people.Neurology. 1990; 40: 1190-1196
- Quantifying local cerebral blood flow by N-isopropyl-p-[123I]iodoamphetamine (IMP) tomography.J Nucl Med. 1982; 23: 196-203
- Regional dynamics of N-isopropyl-(123I)-p-iodoamphetamine in human brain.J Nucl Med. 1989; 30: 150-156
- Regional distribution of N-isopropyl-p-[123I]iodoamphetamine in cerebrovascular disease compared with regional cerebral blood flow and oxygen metabolism.J Nucl Med. 1985; 26: P25
- Cerebral bloodflow tomography: Xenon-133 compared with isopropyl- amphetamine-iodine-123: concise communication.J Nucl Med. 1983; 24: 17-21
- The 1982 revised criteria for the classification of systemic lupus erythematosus.Arthritis Rheum. 1982; 25: 1271-1277
- The lupus anticoagulant and its role in thrombosis.Blood Reviews. 1987; 1: 21-24
- Lupus anticoagulants, anticardiolipin antibodies, and cerebral ischemia.Stroke. 1989; 20: 225-229
- Antiphospholipid antibodies in the connective tissue diseases: their relation to the antiphospholipid syndrome and forme fruste disease.J Rheumatol. 1989; 16: 757-761
- Antiphospholipid antibodies, pre-thrombotic states, and stroke.Stroke. 1990; 21: 1370-1374
- Lupus anticoagulant, thrombosis and fetal loss.N Engl J Med. 1985; 313: 1348-1350
- Anticardiolipin antibodies recognize β2-glycoprotein-I structure altered by interacting with an oxygen modified solid phase surface.J Exp Med. 1994; 179: 457-462
- Lupus anticoagulant IgG's (LA) are not directed to phospholipids only, but to a complex of lipid-bound human prothrombin.Thromb Haemost. 1991; 66: 629-632
- Controversies in lupus: nervous system involvement.Ann Rheum Dis. 1995; 54: 159-167
- Oxygen-15 brain scanning for detection of cerebral involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus.Lancet. 1978; 1: 898-900
- Single-photon-emission computed tomography analysis of cerebral blood flow in the evaluation of central nervous system involvement in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.Arthritis Rheum. 1993; 36: 1253-1262
Accepted: March 27, 1996
Received in revised form: March 6, 1996
Received: December 14, 1995
© 1997 Published by Elsevier Inc.