To investigate the pathology of psoriasis, we developed an animal model for this disease using severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID) mice. These mice possess neither B nor T Lymphocytes so that both cellular and humoral immunities are impaired. For the in vivo study of psoriasis, human psoriatic skin was grafted on SCID mice. Long-term morphological and immunohistochemical changes in the grafted skin ware examined for up to 22 weeks after transplantation. The human skin graft were generally well maintained during this period, but the histological and immunohistochemical findings characteristic of psoriasis, except for acanthosis and hyperkeratosis, gradually disappeared as lymphocytic infiltration of the psoriatic lesions declined.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Dermatological Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Long-term maintenance of psoriatic human skin on congenitally athymic (nude) mice.J Invest Dermatol,. 1975; 64: 307-312
- Functional morphology of lesions of psoriasis vulgaris transplanted into nude mice at early stage.J Dermatol. 1994; 21: 940-946
- Transplantation of psoriatic skin onto nude mice.J Invest Dermatol. 1983; 80: 31s-35s
- Localization of the defect in skin diseases analyzed in the human skin graft-nude mouse model.Curr Prob Dermatol. 1980; 10: 115-126
- Normal and psoriatic human skin grafts on nude mice: Morphological and immunochemical studies.J Invest Dermatol. 1981; 76: 48-52
- Increased binding sites of dansylated cyclosporin A in psoriatic epidermis grafted onto nude mice during cyclosporin A treatment.Eur J Dermatol. 1991; 1: 61-64
- A study on immunohistochemical findings and expressions of cytokine mRNA in transplanted psoriatic skin in SCID mice.Proc 8th Annu Meet Jpn Soc Psoriasis Res. 1993; 1: 99-100
- Severe combined immunodeficiecy mouse and human psoriatic skin chimeras.Am J Pathol. 1995; 146: 580-588
- Psoriasiform architecture of murine epidermis overlying human psoriatic dermis transplanted onto SCID mice.Arch Dermatol Res. 1994; 286: 325-330
- The attempt to make an animal model of psoriasis using the SCID mice (in Japanese).Jpn J Dermatol,. 1993; 103: 381
- Some observations after transplantation of psoriatic skin using the SCID mice.Proc 8th Annu Meet Jpn Soc Psoriasis Res,. 1993; 1: 199-200
- Pulling the trigger on psoriasis.Nature. 1996; 379: 777
- Analysis of proliferative grade using anti-PCNA/cyclin monoclonal antibodies in fixed, embedded tissue.Am J Pathol. 1989; 134: 733-739
- Immunolocalization of karatin polypeptides in human epidermis using monoclonal antibodies.J Cell Biol. 1982; 95: 580-588
- Dermal injection of immunocytes induces psoriasis.J Clin Invest. 1996; 98: 1878-1887
Accepted: October 30, 1997
Received in revised form: September 29, 1997
Received: December 9, 1996
© 1997 Elsevier Science Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.